Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Not a very good drawer."


I had a teacher once tell me that I shouldn't illustrate an assignment for an Illustration class because I am "not a very good drawer." So I used photographs for an ILLUSTRATION assignment. My ability to draw has been one major hurdle I need to overcome. I love to draw, I just suck at it. But practice makes perfect. This semester, I have been forcing myself to at least sketch something once a day. While it may not show to others, I have already noticed improvement.

To further challenge myself, I have decided to turn an assignment I have in my Interface Design class to create a flash website into an illustration focused project. So I am now illustrating characters for a mock video game. The characters and their bios will be featured in my website. This is all due in about two weeks and progress is moving slow. But I am up for the challenge.

Here is some what I have come up with in the last 9 hours I have been working on this. Keep in mind, I am NOT an animator. I admire and respect artists who can ACTUALLY do this stuff. I can only dream of gaining that skill. I actually spend a lot of time studying and reading about Disney animators and artists. I have loved them since before I could talk. (Not an exaggeration. Ask my parents). So I pray none of them ever see this horrible attempt I am making. But the important thing is that I am having fun doing this! I love it. So here ya go:











Neither of these characters are completely finished, but that's what I have so far. I have 3 others to create. My goal is to get them all to this point in the process by Thursday. By Saturday, I would like to have them all completely done. And somehow through all this, I will also be working on the website as I go. It's going to be a busy couple of weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Inspired by Aladdin?
    keep trying you will get that better. remember where there is a way there is will...
    miss ya. Adolfo cabrera

    ReplyDelete