Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Beat The Rush!



Last Spring I designed a poster that ended up being my most controversial and most talked about art project ever. Students throughout all art emphasis at school were asking me about it. Even a couple students who aren't even art majors somehow had heard about my poster. I am still do this day known within our Graphic Design department by this project.

The assignment we were given was to design a poster that would be our "last lecture" to the world if the world were to end on December 21, 2012. I thought a lot about how I would handle the subject and what I would say. After a lot of cliche and average concepts, I decided I would take more of a sarcastic approach. I went with the idea of suicide. The world is ending in a couple years, so just kill yourself now instead of waiting around. Your life is pointless if the world is ending. That was my approach.

I was extremely nervous to present my concept to the class the day our sketches were due. It turned out that a lot of people were shocked. Even more so because it was coming from me. After a lot of idea tweaking, I reached a final concept and designed what I consider one of my best projects to date.

Because I am so proud of this design, I want it in my portfolio. However, I have struggled to find a way to fit it in to my portfolio with a practical use. How could I explain this poster to a potential boss or client looking through my portfolio?

I decided this semester to redesign the poster as a book cover. This would make it more practical and valuable for my portfolio.

So here is a look at the progression of "Beat the Rush!" Enjoy.








2 comments:

  1. ok so is this exclusively a hard-cover? cause I was hoping to grab the paperback copy at a lower price point ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygoodness... what a great solution.*



    *uh, the bookcover idea... not the actual suicide one... just to clarify that...

    ReplyDelete